Monday, January 17, 2005

Jesus Loves Me Revisited

Tonight we sang Jesus Loves Me from a Lakota Hymnal...In English the lyrics are pretty simple: Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so...Yes, Jesus Loves Me (repeat). In Lakota, the idea of singing Jesus Loves me in front of other peolpe would actually be embarrassing because it ignores the fact that Jesus loves the other people. There sense of community is much stronger than ours! So instead its Jesus is love and therefore also loves me. However, the words "Jesus Loves Me" are also problematic because men and women use different vocabulary in general, but also for love, so the lyrics are what a man would say, but not what a woman would say.

More on the Badlands: We are not fully there, but we drove near them. The rock structures are caynon like and look like cylindrical step pyramids.

More on Pine Ridge: The counties where I am at are two of the poorest in the nation. The poverty has not overwhelmed me yet, but I think when I see the schools tomorrow and the villages, it will be more striking. The thing that is tough is that the prices at the grocery store are still normal, so that low income really means low income.

More on the paper: On the editoral page, the comic was critical of the handout mentality of Indians, the main editorial was a hardline Christian article about transformation...Yet the front page was an article about statistics of crime on the reservation and how this is really the result of the historical robbing of the hand. The point here is that I think everyone is aware of problems; people have different views on their sources and solutions.

More on problems: I need to put away my academic eye that searches for problems and just see what is and what is good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home