Tuesday, January 25, 2005

The Turtle and the Cross

Will Peters in English; Teacher of the Red Way in Lakota. Currently, a member of tribal council and formerly a teacher, I will let his words speak for himself. On Columbus: "I mean who gets a day named after him for discovering what was already discovered." On White weddings: "What kind of question is: Who gives this woman...women are not property!" On Welfare for Indians: "It destroys the family because it is better for the couple to separate to get more money and the man's job of providing is taken over by welfare." On Rap music: "People get caught up in profanity, that they lose sight of the profound." On his enemies: "People don't realize I pray for them, even when they yell at me." On Jesus: "People need to let him out of the box." On the fact he attends both Sun Dances and Church: "I am the most prayed for person in the world. The Sun Dancers pray for me when I go to Church - I am going all "white" they worry. The Christians pray for me when I go to the Sun Dance - I am going all "native" they worry." On the Black Hills: "Some say we came from a land bridge from Asia, but I believe we came from there; from space, it is shaped like a human heart; it is the heart of the world." On Jesus again: "What do Christians ask to be put in their heart - Jesus. When people come against you, be like the turtle and go there, where Jesus is."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home