Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Christianity and Indian Culture

Today we went to a Jesuit school, had kids over for playtime and heard two Indian Christians talk about Christianity. I found it fascinating that at the Jesuit School, there was a cemetery in which Red Cloud was buried. Red Cloud had signed a treaty with the white people which the white people ignored and broke. I find it quite interesting that he would be buried at a Jesuit cemetary. There was no one there I could talk with about why this was. Unfortunately, I am sick today.

Also, the Indian kids were a lot of fun. I did not play with them, but from my bed I heard their playful laughs.

The Indians that came tonight were fascinating because they made the point that the most successful missionaries were those that lived in the community and tried to make room for Indian culture within Christianity. But, various levels of tolerance were employed; I would need to get more info on different missionary practies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home